View Single Post
Old 07-13-2015, 08:30 PM   #39
newBgeek

In less than 1 year of ownership, I have spent just over $2000 (CAD) ***just in parts*** as I'm a DIYer. I replaced both radiator fans, ignition switch, battery, spark plugs and tube o-rings, sway bar end-links, coolant reservoir tank, hood struts, alternator pulley, tensioner pulley, and lower idler pulley, air/oil separator and oil change. Note that none of these issues were due to a CEL or drivability issues. They are all maintenance or problems that I discovered because I'm actively looking for issues. So another owner may have gotten away with spending nothing (until one of those issues cascaded into a CEL or breakdown). And the previous owner spent over $6000 in the previous year.

So this is not a cheap car to maintain, yet it is still one of the least expensive cars I have owned, cheaper than my newer "economy car". In the year I have owned my Boxster, my other car depreciated over $4000, while the Boxster has stayed the same (actually gone up slightly). It is depreciation, not maintenance, that is the number 1 cost of most vehicles.

However, if you are not the type to do your own work, or have a buddy that can, then I would seriously consider getting something newer like a 2009 or newer Boxster. The cost of ownership will likely be a bit higher due to depreciation, but you will be driving a newer car.

I you love working on your own car like I do (it's part of the ownership experience), then these older 986 Boxsters are a bargain if you can find a good one.

While changing the AOS (as a maintenance item), I noticed I have a power steering leak. So there is a pump and high pressure line in my near future. Can't wait
newBgeek is offline   Reply With Quote