View Single Post
Old 07-10-2015, 01:59 PM   #10
Myoung73

Many good and informative posts here already. I will add my 2 cents. I also looked through the wealth of great information mainly on this site when I started looking for a 986. It almost scared me away from the 986 mainly due to the IMSB issues. I pretty much knew I would get the imsb done in whatever car I bought if I wasn't sure it had been done or had been done a while / many miles ago. This one had the IMSB done but almost 4 years ago and LN recommends replacing every 4 years or 50k miles. Ultimately I found a very good condition 2003 S with 76k miles on it. It was in much better shape than many others I had looked at. But the ppi indicated it needed new rotors and pads all around. I talked the guy down to 12k from $14k. Thought that was a pretty good price based on other S sales in my area. Only thing that absolutely needed to be done was brakes for about 1,700. But I also did clutch (was getting a bit low but could have lasted a bit longer), IMSB (dof), Aos, ignition coils (ppi indicated they were cracked and quite worn but they still worked), rms, and some other smaller stuff. Ultimately cost me over 5k. I did the work for the reasons stated above, didn't want some things now to become big problems later. Especially didn't want a tanked engine due to imsb. Lot of extra cash? Yes. Do I regret it? No. If the pull of driving / owning a Porsche and having the fun you can have in these cars is strong enough (and budget allows) then go for it. If not, like others have said, look elsewhere.
Myoung73 is offline   Reply With Quote