View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 05:03 AM   #13
986Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhead
I've since removed the kit and it's all nicely packed up in a box. When I've the time, I'll take some photos of the kit and put it up for sale. Interested? I'll let you have it for half the price I paid Only problem is shipping to you in US.
Well I got Clubhead's old kit and installed it yesterday. Took me about 4 hours in total to install. His car is a Boxster S so I had to make up a different piece of silicone hosing about 6" long to make up for where the Boxster S throttle body is more angled than the 2.5L one is. NO big deal really, I can make just about anything work. Having to move the intake manifold was no big deal honestly. If you have the right tools it was one of the the easier parts. Pull the stock air box was a PITA, one bolt must be reached from under the car, but you can do it with the car on the floor normally just take off the plastic tray on the one side and reach up your hand, once I found it I got it out pretty easily. Pulling the air box was a bit of a trick but once the neck with the MAF was out the rest of the box came out. It took about 10 mins of prying to get the box out.

Overall I have to say the sound alone is worth it for this intake. I'm really not interested in an exhaust system anymore, the intake Roar from this is probably 10X what de-snorkling the intake was, it's FRIGGIN LOUD! Seriously sounds good however.

It was a nice cool night last night and the car felt faster, but thats hard to tell. A trip to the dyno will sort that out. I love the hang the car around corners in massive over steer and it seemed much easier to do that. I'm not sure if it was due to better throttle response from the smooth intake with a cone filter or what but there were definate changes for the better.

Overall impression of the intake was the plastic is OEM quality, the heat shield was sooo tight there is no way heat from the engine bay is going to blow into that area it seals very tight and totally sections off the area around the filter. So much so that it's really a pain to install. Once the car is moving a lot of fresh air will rush that area of the box so I'm sure as previously noted it's cooler than the stock air box is, and understandably so. The spot for the MAF is a good tight seal, and inside the intake pipes is VERY smooth so air will rush through that pretty nicely vs. the wrinkled pipe.

The Stock intake pipe has some major restrictions in it, one part being crushed down to about 1/2 the size that it looks. The car would benefit from just a new pipe to the stock air box a lot if you don't want to buy the whole kit.

Overall I'm pretty happy and would do it again.

Last edited by 986Jim; 05-09-2006 at 05:06 AM.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote