View Single Post
Old 07-08-2015, 06:42 AM   #298
BoxsterLS376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
Selling already?
I guess selling is a strong word as I'm not putting it on craigslist or posting it to Ebay just yet. More like making it available here to someone else to see if I can make converting these a viable business, or just a side hobby to make myself a weekend hot rod.

It is awesome to drive and very fast, if I can start building these for people and make a living doing it then I'd be willing to sell it. But not everyone wants to drop $30K on a $10K car. If no one else wants it then I have no problem keeping it If someone else wants it then i'll gladly build another one and so on. I think everyone needs a V8 Boxster!!!

Reality is that anyone wanting to build one of these on a strict budget can certainly do it, but there will always be more to do. You can't double the HP of a car and expect everything to be hunky dory. I could very easily spend another $10K on this car right now on mechanical upgrades that I think would benefit it but I don't have it.

2 biggest things I would upgrade would both be in the transmission. I would put in a Guard LSD and a taller ring & pinion. I think the stock ratio is something like 3.444 and could probably benefit from something closer to 3.0 as first gear is too short and the rest are ok but you can easily spend most of your time in 5th and 6th and not worry about downshifting. I'm sure there are R&P's for racing out there to shorten everything up but not sure if anyone makes a taller one or not.

While the suspension on the car is good, it could always be better... I figure any 15 year old car would feel better with all new bushings, shocks or coil overs etc. but you better be in for a bit of a bumpy ride as upgrading to the basically solid mounts you already definitely feel the road!

Brakes are also very good but probably also a good idea to upgrade them, if not a full caliper/rotor upgrade, at the very least upgrade to some Hawk racing pads to help slow this animal down as it always wants to go fast!!

From there you could easily spend another 10K on cosmetic upgrades such as that sweet ass widebody kit and 997 conversion Lcrivers816 is doing!

But in the end it is all about what you are really looking for... If you are not a DIY guy spending $60K+ for a well sorted out Boxster with a V8 is a lot but you have something very unique and fun to play with that you can't just walk into a dealership and buy. You can daily drive it, track it take it to Porsche meetings, hot rod shows, exotic shows or to the drag strip and have a great time wherever you go.

Sorry I feel like I'm starting to ramble - What can I say it's hot and I'm bored at work

Have a good one~
J

Last edited by BoxsterLS376; 07-08-2015 at 06:44 AM.
BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote