View Single Post
Old 07-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #7
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Great write up! We were all sorry to see your 986 go out to pasture but congrat's on the Cay!

I'd be interested in your thoughts about the difference in driving experience in terms of;

1. Handling differences (987 stiffer chassis, corner turn-in/rotation/exit, do you drive it the same, etc)
2. Suspension differences (987 stock vs PSS9, stock vs adjustable, etc)
3. Transmission differences (PDK vs 5-speed manual - street, track, fun factor, involvement)
Well, the 986 suspension was developed and tweaked over about 6 years and it was very balanced and point and shoot. It was also mighty firm on the street. The Cay is still bone stock so it feels great on the street and in the canyons but it's pretty fluffy and imprecise with R-comp tires at the track. I suspect I will firm it up with Cay R struts and sways to get where I want it without going too crazy. PSM still intervenes while trail-braking so we will tweak the threshold a bit or just disable it.

So far the PDK is pretty cool. It definitely reduces driver workload and involvement but the technology is stunning and I am learning to make the most of it. Corner entry is awesome... tap tap.... GAS! I have driven a stick all my life and this is the first "no left pedal" sports car I have liked. I am not sure it is forever though. We'll see.

Last edited by Topless; 07-06-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote