View Single Post
Old 07-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #22
Jamesp
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
As I have always been brought into the issue after it has already happened, I can only surmise what is causing it. That said, I would put my money on the removal of the tensioners, and perhaps the order in which that is done. Removing the tensioners has a similar effect as valve spring tension would, only to a lesser degree. When one tensioner is removed, the load on the chains is asymmetric due to the released tension. I have discussed this problem with other shop owners that have encountered it, and that seems to be the general consensus of what happens.

You also have to ask yourself why Jake even developed and LN produced three chain cam locks at all if they are not required during an IMS retrofit.
My experience has been that tensioners in or out, or going in or out, won't make the chains jump timing on the cam sprockets. I messed with the tensioners with the engine out on a stand, they do tend to rotate the cams a little but don't cause the chain to jump teeth on the cam sprocket. Not sure what the folks did who brought you their cars, but it would not surprise me if they fibbed a little to save face.

The Cam locks are used in disassembly, assembly and final adjustment. The factory tools are pretty basic. Why Jake developed his is a good question, they may be superior in some manner to the factory tools.