View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015, 10:03 PM   #1
JonD

Radiator Cleaning

Ok so I had a couple of days off and decided to check the radiators for crap build up. I followed the youtube video on removing the bumper https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um-h2aUJHY4

Not really difficult to do, I didn't even jack up the car to get to the several screws under the car.

I decided to do it because just like heaps of other 986 owners I found that in traffic the coolant reaches 100c and then the fans kick in. Even though the radiators are now clean of debris, there hasn't really been any change in temperature fluctuation. I figure as long as the fans come on when the temp reaches 100c then it should be OK. I will however do the radiator fan Hack through the relays so I can switch them on manually when I need to.

Attached Some pictures of debris I found before and after cleaning. While I had the bumper off I decide to repaint the plastic inserts and also added black coated aluminium mesh on the inside of them looks ok and will assist to slow down leaves and crap etc building up again. Anyway thought I'd share
Attached Images