View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #13
BruceH

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
If you had to choose one over the other, which would it be? The iPad is much lighter and....
That is a tough question! The ipad is more capable since it can use any Apple app and CarPlay has a very limited number of apps. But...how many apps are you really going to use while you are driving? Reality is, most of the time, music, phone and maps which CarPlay does very well with nice big buttons that are easy to see. You can not make the app buttons larger on the mini even though it has the bigger screen. Also, with the mini, you still need a head unit where with the Pioneer, you will gain a cubby. During the summer months with the top down, ocaisonally, the iPad will overheat and shutdown. The other irritation is if the car sits for a few days, the iPad continues to drain so you may jump in your car and the iPad will be dead, coming to life after about 10 minutes of driving.

You can see, there are pluses and minuses. I installed my mini before CarPlay was even announced so it wasn't an option at that time. Fast forward to today and I think if given the choice, I would get the Pioneer. It works really well, better actually than I expected. I drove my truck today for some errands just because I wanted to play with the new Pioneer and it continues to impress me. The mini looks fantastic and works great too, so for now, it will stay, I really do like the mini install and it is not hard to do, it just isn't as seamless and easy as installing an all in one HU. One other note, if you are using the stock Porsche radio, it will keep the iPad charged continuously. The single DIN Pioneer HU that I am now using, only charges when the ignition is on. I bought the Pioneer a year and a half ago to get hands free calling. If you want a back up camera, the Pioneer is the way to go since there really is not any great option for a back up camera for the mini. Again, it really is a tough choice, but in the end, if I was doing the install today, I would probably go with the Pioneer, notice I said probably
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote