View Single Post
Old 05-07-2006, 05:49 AM   #8
Brucelee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Jim
Thats simply because they are older and generally have more miles on them as a whole. If both models were made in the same year they would be the same. Is the 3.2 any more reliable than the 2.7? No it fails at the same rate and from the same things in the same years. So does the 2.5l.

BTW your Mechanic is not a mechanic. He's a Technician. That means he doens't know anything but how to replace parts. Mechanics fix parts and cars, not throw parts at it until the problem goes away.

Thats the difference between the Dealer and a good Porsche Mechanic...

Actually, the service techs were responding to my question on failure rates. Since they get to see failures, they are a reasonably good source of information on well, failures.

Moreover, since you don't know these particular service techs, you can't possibly know what they do and don't know about repairing a Porsche, correct? Frankly, they have done right by me over the 30 or so cars they have worked on and I tend to judge a person's competence by their work product.

Regarding the reliability of one engine vs the other, I will say this.

It is ALL anecdotal info we have. Porsche is NEVER going to release failure rates on its products unless forced to (the initial Boxster 2.5 problem was not voluntarily disclosed by Porsche, I can assure you.)

Having said all that, I will stand by my recommendation to steer clear of the 2.5 engine. Since it is the oldest and least powerful engine, why buy this car/engine when you don't have to?

Too many nice boxes out there to fritter away your time with a 2.5 IMHO.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote