View Single Post
Old 06-23-2015, 09:58 AM   #2
Qmulus
inveniam viam aut faciam

Quote:
Originally Posted by P993C2S View Post
I'm converting over to a spec boxster and as I've pulled components . . . front and rear lids, seats & airbag sensor . . . soon radio/AC and convertible top.What have you done with with wiring? I've read people have relocated the fuse box from the drivers foot well.

Obviously I'm not pulling the whole car apart for the cage/chassis work where it might be simpler to reinstall a harness. I can feel some Obsessive Compulsive disorder kicking in as look at the dead ends. Has anyone remounted the fuse box? Would it be an exercise in frustration to eliminate now unnecessary wiring and could I get some real weight reduction from this?

Post pictures if you've got them.

Thanks.
As of right now, I have done harnesses for eight spec Boxsters with two or three in line. Figure 12 hours minimum to just to strip, de-pin and re-wrap everything leaving locations the same. This is best case, knowing exactly what you are doing and do it all at once. This also assumes the harness it is out of the car. I usually do two or three at a time. My "model" for that is a 996 Cup car, so that would be leaving the factory light switch and lights, as well as column switches. Figure 20+ if you are going to relocate the fusebox, get rid of column switches, relocate alarm box, add Cool Suit, aftermarket dash and sensors, cutoff switch, etc.

As far a weight reduction goes, conservatively figure 10lbs, but perhaps as much as 15+ depending upon what options the car had and if you keep lights, fans and if you relocate the fuse box and switches. The big advantage in my opinion is the simplification of the harness, leading to a much more safe and reliable system.

Steve

Last edited by Qmulus; 06-23-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Qmulus is offline   Reply With Quote