View Single Post
Old 05-06-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
Wintermute

Whoa. You're only 2 years behind me really. I'm 23, just bought my 2002 Boxster S after I got my first job. I graduated in Computer Science last year too! Crazy...

Now I haven't had any experience like that yet, but though I do seem to be passed alot more on the highway, even when I'm driving 85. That never happened when I drove my old Honda Prelude. Mostly what happens now is I get 19 year-olds in crappy old Civics with a cheap exhaust system wanting to race me in city traffic. Yeah, almost 8 years without an accident or a ticket didn't happen with me racing stupid punks who want to say "Dude, I totally beat this Porsche today!"

I don't know how bad the heckling would have been had I had the Boxster in school , but I know that the some of the frats were serious a**holes. Hell I had a few comments directed at me for simply driving a nice car (yeah, they heckled me in the Prelude). That's why I never joined a frat or went to their parties. Most of them were hypocrits anyway as 90% of the greek population drove either a BMW, Mercedes, or a Lexus (I think one guy even had a Land Rover).

I think one of the darker aspects of driving a Porsche (or any type of car that many people consider "exotic") is the negative reaction you get from certain people. Many times it's simply jealousy and you get dirty look, but sometimes you get someone that is so angry with their own life that seeing someone else that seems to have it together just sets them off. Also people tend to make assumptions (usually wrong ones) because they are ignorant of the facts and have preconcieved notions. Being young and the driver of a car that most people label as expensive and exclusive just compounds this problem.

For example, I highly doubt any of those guys who shouted at you had ever taken the time to look at how much Boxster's actually cost, or had even ever driven one. If they had, they would have found out that you could get a Boxster that's only a few years old for the same price as their brand new BMW 330i's, and that "girl's car" could leave them in the dust without even breaking a sweat.
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote