View Single Post
Old 06-18-2015, 02:22 PM   #4
leftfield6
Yeah, I've done that.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
First of all, all Durametric software can read the air bag systems on any of these cars unless someone has done something (like disconnecting the air bag control system) in which case no system would be able to see it.

It also sounds like your air bag dash MIL light bulb may have burned out.
I know it's supposed to be able to see it, it's just not seeing it. And as for the light burning out, remember it was working up until I did this latest repair, which required (a) disconnecting the battery for about 6 hours, and (b) pulling the airbag assembly from the steering wheel. It would be quite a coincidence to burn the light out exactly at that repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post
Is it possible that the previous owner replaced the OEM airbag and used a knock-off or some inferior (or faulty) replacement and now you have one heck of an expensive problem on your hands? That seems to me to be a likely scenario. In Calif. that would cause a fail on emissions test. I sure hope you are not in deep ****************e.
The airbag looked OEM, and looks "aged" appropriate for the car. The black vinyl is faded the same as the steering wheel, and I remember the back of the airbag looked correct as well.

I suspect what I have, when you consider the fact that the Durametric can't find the airbag system, is that somehow the airbag system has lost power. Just a suspicion, but I don't know where to begin tracking that down.