View Single Post
Old 06-18-2015, 10:26 AM   #1
leftfield6
Yeah, I've done that.

Garage
Chasing an airbag light gremlin

Chronologically, here is the story.
  • Purchased used Boxster - airbag light was on - indications are that prior owner removed seats without disconnecting battery, thus an airbag light came on
  • Have driven the car for 8 months or so, with air bag light on
  • just last weekend, i removed the steering wheel to replace the entire stalk assembly, in the process I had to remove the driver's airbag
  • Upon reassembly and reconnection to battery, the airbag light is now off, which was not expected
  • Then I realized that the airbag light is not illuminating at all during the start up procedure. It should come on as it self checks and then go off, right?
  • In the middle of all this, the Durametric that I ordered a few weeks ago showed up.
  • Durametric can read other systems in the car (engine, trans, etc) but is NOT able to read the airbag system. I can't remember the exact error message, but basically it seems like it isn't able to find the airbag system at all.
  • I removed the airbag and steering wheel again today and double checked all connections, assuming i did something wrong while fixing my turn signal stalk. All looks good.

An ideas how to troubleshoot from here? The Durametric does not seem to do me any good here if it can't "see" the airbag system.

Is there a fuse or fusible link somewhere for the Airbag?