View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 11:02 AM   #5
PorscheFan5

Bayley and Qmulus,

"Which CAN Bus - engine, drivetrain?...What are you trying to acheive?" Great questions. Let me see if I can clarify.
  • I am working on converting my 2004 Boxster to EV
  • Engine is out and won't be going in...:-)
  • All components related to engine - cooling etc. will not be needed - so coolant lines and radiator are out
  • Am using the stock clutch, FW and 5 spd Tx
  • Am using a Orion Battery Management system that supports the CAN Bus
  • Will be connecting an Andromeda display to the Orion BMS and my Elcon charger (if possibe) through CAN Bus supported on BMS
  • As of now an thinking that I will leave the DME alone and just keep it there connected with whatever components are left
  • Have been told that most of the other components (other than engine) work quite independently so even if engine is not present the DME will not pose a problem. Yet to be proved right/wrong...
  • My thought is most of the DME output signals are either going to the engine or are controlling the engine. So since no engine, no use of the control signals (or pick up signals).
  • Am having the hole slotted for the stock hall effect sensor in the EV adapter plate. Will see if I was to wire the original RPM sensor the RPM shows up on the stock RPM meter in dash...Yet to be seen...not sure what challenges that will pose
  • Am thinking of connecting the vehicle's CAN bus to the CAN Bus of the Orion BMS and Display in hopes that I could also show RPM that way and other info on the CAN Bus
  • IN order to connect the two CAN bus' I need to have them running at the same speed.

Hence the questions...Hope that helps. Please poke holes in the above so I know what may work and what won't.

Regards.

Last edited by PorscheFan5; 06-16-2015 at 11:15 AM.
PorscheFan5 is offline   Reply With Quote