View Single Post
Old 06-14-2015, 09:26 AM   #1
Montesinnos

Garage
Boxster won't start! My wife will leave me. [Updated with Video and bad news]

Hi guys,
just like a couple other people here, my car doesn't start. I browsed through a bunch of posts here with similar problems, but I'd like to ask a second opinion before I start to replace parts that are fine.

1999 Boxster 120k miles
  • Day 0 - Worked fine for 3 years
  • Day 1 - Car didn't start. It "turns" but there's no start. It doesn't do the battery click either. All the lights, radio, electronics come on. After 20 tries in the period of 1 hour, it started.
  • Day 2 - Drives fine
  • Day 10 - Didn't start again. Tried around 20 times. I tried to jump start it with a battery charger and another car and nothing. But then, used my wife's A3 to jump it and it started right away.
  • Day 11 - Bought a new battery (my old one was made in 2003). Car worked perfectly for 2 days.
  • Day 13 - Doesn't start again with new battery. Tried jumping with another car and nothing. Push start also doesn't work. Took to Autozone where I bought the battery. They checked and said that the battery is fine and charged. However, their machine indicated Voltage Regular issue. After 30 tries, it worked. Drove home and left the car on for a while to grab some things, but the car shut off by itself.
  • Day 13 - Checked it with Durametric cable. Zero issues. No faults detected.
  • Day 14 - Managed to get it on again, and decided to put some new gas, being afraid that it might be it. Car didn't start after pumping gas. I tried to roll start it 5 times and nothing. It turned after 2 hours of tries. When I stopped at home, it shut off by itself again.
  • Day 17 - Changed ignition switch (http://www.amazon.com/URO-Parts-4A0-905-849B/dp/B0066SFYMO). Worked for a couple days
  • Day 20 - Car stopped staying on. It would turn on and die in 2 seconds. Got this error on Durametric: P1602 Porsche fault code 108 - Power Supply - open circuit
  • Day 21 - Car stopped turning on. Video of the issue: http://youtu.be/N5sAB14e2GY. Got this fault on Durametric: P0102 Mass air flow sensor short circuit/open circuit
  • Day 22 - New video of issue: https://youtu.be/1Fyqh6slO6E
  • Day 25 - I took the alternator out and brought it to Autozone and OReilleys. Both place tested and said that that the alternator is fine, and so is the Voltage Regulator. I put it back in.
  • Day 25 - Since I was inside the car already, I changed the belt and the air filter. The belt wasn't so bad, but the filter was.
  • Day 26 - I keep resetting the codes, and the MAF warnings keep coming back. I heard that it could be the battery being disconnected or some electrical problem somewhere else, but if the Durametric is to be believed, the MAF is bad.
  • Day 29 - Used CRC Mass airflow cleaner. Car turns on and stay on. Very rought idle though.

Notes:
  • I installed an aftermarket Bulldog keyless entry 1 year ago. It always worked
  • When the car is on, it drives fine. I can get to highway speed without feeling loss of power.
  • Already checked the fuses.

What I have to check/test:
  • Alternator & Voltage Regulator
  • CPS
  • Fuel Pump & Relay
  • Fuel pressure

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Montesinnos; 07-27-2015 at 09:36 PM. Reason: More details
Montesinnos is offline   Reply With Quote