Thread: Cold air intake
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2015, 08:01 AM   #3
Luv2Box

Garage
Despite varying opinions regarding the install of a CAI oiled filter system I installed an Evolution Motorsports unit on my '99 Boxster. At the time the unit was being sold by Suncoast and cost $389. I picked mine up off eBay, new in box, for $125 from a guy who bought it and wrecked his car before install.
The entire OEM intake system has to be removed, which is a project as some of the screws are up inside the wheel well. When the OEM system is removed two baffles in the system are also removed whose purpose seems to be to dampen intake sound.
I can't tell you if my car recovered the claim of 7-8hp gain as I did not dyno the car before and after. I can tell you that the sound of the intake is awesome. At idle you hear a hissing sound and when the car reaches 3K rpm it turns into a roar that a friend of mine said sounds like a Formula 1 car.
I've had the unit in for a little over three years and have had no issues. After the unit was installed I bought a second filter cone so I could swap out every 10K miles with a cleaned and re-oiled filter. Having a second one allows me to clean, re oil and let the filter sit for months so any excess oil drains off and I've not had any MAF problems.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote