Thread: OBD Question
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2015, 06:33 PM   #4
BFeller

Garage
I'll subscribe to this thread in the interest of hearing a resolution. Oddly enough, I have the same voltage on Pin 3. I also have not had much success using my Durametric. I even sent it to Durametric who was able to quickly test the cable, finding no fault. On initial startup the application will read engine module, often times allowing the chance to use a few features prior to losing communication. Occasionally on initial startup access can be done one of the other individual modules. At no time has it been possible to actually switch between modules without losing communications. It appears that the car suffers from some issue causing problems with the Durametric software. I have never been able to sort it out. Here is the troubleshooting information from pages 24 to 25 of the manual (if the manual has not been updated with the June 5th upgrade). As an additional note: I pulled all fuses for the audio system and radar detector. My car is 98 with a manual transmission.

Edit: One more thing - Durametric support told me cable had never registered to my car. So I still have three VIN's available....

Initialization failure when trying to connect to a control unit

• cable is not securely connected
• K line short to ground or battery +
• Control unit is faulty
• Control unit not present

Cable LED turns red

• Indicates an electrical short between K1 or K2 and B+ or Between K1 or K2 and ground
• Check for appropriate continuity between the ground, power and communications pin at the diagnostic connector at the car
• Check for electrical shorts by clicking Tools > Tool Information when connected to the car

Cable LED won't turn green

• Confirm there is a secure connection between the Durametric cable and the car
• Confirm the car's ignition is in the 'on' position
• Confirm the car's battery is fully charged or back up power supply is correctly attached
• For CAN bus based car's, awaken the CAN network by switching the key to the 'off' and then to the on position
• Confirm the check engine light appears on the instrument cluster display. Keep the CAN bus awake during diagnostics by turning on the emrgency flashers
• Check for approprriate ground (pins 4 & 5) and 12+ volts (pins 1 & 16) at the diagnostics connector of the car when the ignition is on

Cable not plugged in

• Confirm the cable is securely connected to the USB port on your computer
• Confirm there is power from the car to the cable and the LED on the cables is steady green

Module “failed to initialize”

• Electromagnetic interference: Confirm all stereos, radar detectors, navigation equipment and amplifiers are turned off while performing diagnostics

Last edited by BFeller; 06-08-2015 at 06:46 PM.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote