Thread: super charger?
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 05:45 AM   #7
986Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

This topic has been beat to death over several threads. The bottom line(s) are:
  • The Boxster is what it is, there's not a great deal of improvement to be had even with SC.

The Cost/Benefit ratio is pretty high/low on any performance Mods, including SC.

In general, forcing any engine without doing some internal mods really pushes the original design and increased maintenance issues and the possibility of premature failure are significantly increased.

Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. I have turbocharged a lot of cars that were not originally turbocharged.

My 86GTi had a regular ol 8V VW motor in it. I slaped on a T3 turbo charger running 15psi of boost with a front mount intercooler and a additional injector (because the CIS injection of the motor isn't really fuel injectors like a normal car) to handle the extra fueling. I drove the car and raced it quite oftin for 4 years putting alomst 60k miles on the car with no reliability issues on a totally stock motor. The 8V is a pretty stout motor but 15psi doubled the HP of the car. Stock it was like 101hp and 100ft/lbs. I made 176hp and 213ft/lbs of torque with the turbo.

My Talon was originally turbo, but I trippled the turbo size to 700cfm and ran 22psi on pump gas and 30psi on race gas. I more than doubled the HP the motor originally made and also raced this car a lot (100+ passes down the drag strip a year) over 3 years. It has also racked up about 30k miles in the 3 years with nothing more than an intercooler pipe blow off here and there from the pressure and oil changes. I solved the intercooler pipe blow offs with some hair spray on teh silicone connectors, held like glue lol..

My 95GTi had a Nitrous Express direct port nitrous system jetted for 100hp shot. I ran it upto 150hp at the track. It took beatings on the street and track for 3 years as well. I would arm the nitrous system and stand on the gas on the highway and smoke the tires all the way through 3rd gear all the while leaving two longs strips of black rubber on the road. I did have to rebuild the tranny in this car with a quaife and a new R&P because the nitrous was so voilent when it came on it tore up the tranny. After my rebuild with some new parts it solved that problem. Nitrous is quite violent compared to turbo as it comes on instantly were boost has to build. Even with that the VR6 engine took massive beatings from me without any problems at all. Just had to fill the gas and nitrous and buy tires ever year.

I seriously doubt that 4psi will cause any problmems on a boxster motor at all. Thats nothing, I can blow that hard. I don't see anymore than maybe 50-60whp extra however, 100 is a bit of a stretch. It's about 10-12whp per psi of boost, so saying 100 from 4 is a bit far out there. The subaru guys turbo the non turbo skoob motors and makes minimum 100whp extra and don't have many problems. They need injectors and a SAFC to controll them, so some tuning but other then that it's pretty simple stuff.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote