Thread: IMS failure
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 08:58 AM   #15
flaps10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
This is your answer. It is also commonly argued that getting the engine in the higher rev range once warmed up from time to time is good for it. Ims failures seem to be most common in cars that sit and rarely go above 3k rpm. Those that drive the cars (somewhat) hard seem to have far fewer failures.
Unless you don't know how your ~100k engine has lived for the past 10-15 years. With any luck the OP will get to clutch time without having to find out.

To the OP, this engine shares little in the way of layout with the B18 (great engine btw) - The M96 has four cams, five cam chains, three oil pumps, no replaceable bearings where there should be (cams), some parts you've never even contemplated (vario-cam and foam separators) and the most absurd method of assembly I have ever seen - but the basics of crank bearings, rods, wrist pins, rings, valves, etc will carry you should you need to split momma's car open.

Think of it as a series of projects, each something you can wrap your head around as you go. Anytime I found myself lacking confidence over the next thing that needed to be done I would clean the work bench, put tools away and sweep the garage floor.

With apologies to people who are weary of declining book values, I find it hard to stay out of some threads.

...is not an approach to problem solving where I come from.

For those that like to quote "10% for single row, 1% for double row", if the product my employer makes failed 0.1% there isn't a one of you who could board an aircraft without hurling your breakfast and most would elect to take ground transport.

As an engineer I feel that one percent failure is poor execution, ten percent is damn near criminal. If 10% of KIA engines failed (they don't) no one would buy them.

If anything I design ever resulted in 10% of our customers on our door step I would be hard pressed to find a job flipping burgers.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote