View Single Post
Old 05-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #15
EJ_2001_986_S

I had a very similar issue recently. I ordered the aftermarket tank from the folks out in the desert back in October and installed it in November. I kept seeing fluctuation in the engine temps and then noticed condensation on the rear trunk lid. I ordered a new 04 cap from the dealer in Florida and that still didn't fix it. Still had condensation and dropping levels.

So I saw this thread and started looking near the drain hole in the tank and saw some fluid collecting there. Took a picture and emailed that back to the folks out in the desert. They issued an RMA and then the dealer in Florida had a better price on the OEM tank so I ordered from them. The folks in the desert did mention to me that they don't carry the aftermarket tank anymore, so I'm guessing there just happened to be a bunch of us who bought the last stock of it and we're all now finding out that the tanks aren't any good.

The non-black portion of the aftermarket tank was made of different plastic than the OEM one. It was much harder to see the coolant level in the aftermarket one and it also didn't have a company name molded into it anywhere. So I'm guessing they just went cheap on materials and cut their quality control to push a few onto the market.

Thankfully, the OEM tank seems to have fixed things. The level is steady and no more condensation. The temp gauge is back to splitting the 8 in 180 most of the time. I only saw it move up to between the 8 & 0 when I was climbing a decent grade and pushing the car some in the mountains on Monday.

Best of luck with the tank swap. The 2nd time went much faster for me.
EJ_2001_986_S is offline   Reply With Quote