View Single Post
Old 05-23-2015, 07:48 PM   #1
986man2015

Cylinder misfire!! P0304 - LOOK FOR THIS!!

Ok, so I recently acquired a 2000 Boxster S with 105,000 miles on it and very little in the way of maintenance records. I've posted some things on here in the way of whether or not I should do the IMS upgrade and replace the clutch but the cost is so high I wasn't sure if I wanted to do it at this time. The car was running fine with a few small issues I had to deal with until the other day it just all of a sudden started to run rough. the engine light came on and I checked the code to be a P0304 indicating cylinder 4 was misfiring or not firing. So, I jacked up the car after I got home and figured I would check the plug. This is what I found. The brand of spark plug was NRK-R or NRG-R or something like that....

The plugs in the car were the dual fire type. As you can see in the photograph, the center electrode had cracked inside the insulator and must have fallen into the cylinder. WOW! So, no wonder cylinder 4 was not firing. I placed a shop vac onto the hole where the spark plug boot/coil sits and tried to see if I could retrieve anything from the cylinder. My shop vac is very strong. No luck. I had the vacuum container empty but didn't see anything come through. Next, I placed a magnetic retrieval tool into the cylinder and tried to pull something out and I got a little bit of metallic grit. I mean, just about a 2 mm (millimeter) diameter amount of grit. It had attached to the magnetic tool tip but no electrode. I'm wondering if the electrode was ground up inside the cylinder. Any thoughts?

Finally, I used another flexible magnetic retrieval tool and rotated it around as much as I could but still no dice. Nothing out of there except for a little more of that grit. I found a left over bicycle spoke I had laying around the garage and slid it into the spark plug where the electrode was missing. It went in around 3/8" so I'm guessing that's how much electrode was broken up and ground up.

After cleaning out the cylinder with the magnet and shop vac as much as possible, I replaced the spark plug and started it up again (I know, why would I do this right?). Well, the car ran like a top again. I replaced all 6 plugs and inspected them. All cylinder plugs (including #4 - with the exception of the missing electrode) appeared to be firing well. No signs of oil burning or running too lean or anything.

I just thought I would see what you guys thought about this and figured I would post it to the forum so you guys could check for this if you have a misfire code. I would recommend staying away from this brand of plug and actually this type of plug. I've never had this happen before and am not sure how common it is. However, I bought the plain old school type of plug in a platinum line and will stick with those for now on. That way, if the electrode cracks in the insulation, at least the other conductor that is bent over the electrode will prevent it from just falling out and causing scratches and damage to the cylinder. Something to think about....

Please reply with any comments. I'd appreciate hearing what you guys think.

Last edited by 986man2015; 05-24-2015 at 12:57 PM.
986man2015 is offline   Reply With Quote