Thread: First track day
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2015, 08:16 PM   #21
Mark_T

I DID drive like a bat out of hell. 100% all the time when it was safe to do so. This was a strictly controlled event with passing only allowed in certain straight sections, and then only with the permission of the leading car. Permission was given by putting on your left indicator and hugging the right side of the track, slowing enough to let the faster car by. The idea was to give up position to a faster car and not try to race him or prevent the pass. As this was a PCA event, everyone behaved like gentlemen and we all had a good day without incident.

One of the frustrating aspects of the event was catching up to the 911's in the twisty parts of the track, only to have them pull away hard down the main straight. Then I would gradually catch up to them again until I was right on their tail just before they hit the main straight again and opened up the distance. One of the 996's let me pass him because I was crowding his tail for most of the track and he couldn't get enough distance in the straight to stay ahead of me. That felt really good!