View Single Post
Old 05-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #42
jacabean

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
the proof is at the track where you have to pay to play; armchair bravado is worth what you pay for it.

s2000 is a quick car at the track. wrx sti and mitsu evo are too (tend to be driven by a lot of the instructors up here - drive to the track, drive fast, drive home, no issues once you do a few quick things to address brake cooling). miata with a turbo or LS is no slouch. lots of rx7 and rx8's on the track up here (rules favour the hp/displacement of the rotary engine, and they do handle well - mazda has a strong racing heritage). vettes and mustangs (esp the boss 302 track version that came out a few years ago) tend to represent very well. bmw m1 i(if you can find one) is a good alternative to the m3 or the z series.

people denegrate straightline power, but if you get to the corner a second before me after a long straight it don't matter much how quick i am through that corner. from what i've read the new z28 and vette are actually better corner cars than the boxster (as they should be - 10 to 15 years younger).

the boxster is probably one of the best straight out of the box, but the other options are great cars and can be improved for much less cost than can a porsche. check out the aftermarket support for the subi, the ford or the miata - cheaper and more of it.

ps, at the track it doesn't matter where you park your car when you aren't racing; it could be a mansion, it could be a trailer - fast is fast.

Well Put , I get dusted all the time in my Boxster S . I thought my 996 was fast . it gets wiped by lightly tuned WRX's and i think they handle better as well . The older i get speed is less of a concern for me anyway .
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote