Thread: Roads to Drive?
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2006, 11:07 AM   #2
mach schnell

Rondog - I did a great loop a few weeks back - just pulled out the map and played it by ear - originally had planned a lazy drive up the 1 through malibu - but clouds, rain and potentially lots of traffic on the 10 W shifted my plans.

Instead, I headed east on the 10 out towards Coachella - picked up 86S past Salton Sea - great open road, great view. That hits CA 78 (go West) - which at first is two lanes through open desert- a little up and down and you can really have some fun - after a while it climbs into the Anza Borrego National Forest - now the fun really begins - you have mild elevation changes and all the windy roads you can dream of. This stretch brings you in to the back side of soCal wine country (backside of Temecula Valley). You reach a point where you can continue on the 78 into Oceanside or pick up the 79 and swing through more mild elevation changes and great windy roads as you work you way into temecula. you'll eventually hit the 15 and you could take that E, pick up the 74 through ortega canyon and wind your way back through San Juan Capistrano to home in the OC/Irvine. It would be a couple hundred miles of great scenery and fun driving!

Another good drive is to hit Laguna Canyon Road- although it get's pretty busy on weekends!

Lastly, a favorite of mine when I had my crotchrocket was to pick up the 38 in menton and head up the back way into Big Bear - then go all the way across and come down through waterman canyon (think thats the 18). that's a great loop, especially if you can do it during the week - much less traffic - some great scenery and nice little places to stop and eat.
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote