View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 12:59 PM   #216
BoxsterLS376

Greetings everyone,

Well sorry to say no video from this weekend I got a good bit done but was slowed down by a few things, only one of which was the car... I forgot to put the aluminum braces back in after I had the front mount out... well as I was pulling it back out to put them in one of the bolts started to seize up halfway out which was no bueno~ especially since the front of the motor was just suspended from the pole jack. So right about that time a customer had problems and had to go rescue him... worked out that it was close to lunch at that point so played hero for a bit them got back to the shop and took about an hour to take my time getting the bolt out without doing too much damage then re-tapping everything.

So after that was sorted out began getting the cooling systems sorted out, getting water outlets and fitting attached, and test fitting hoses to see where I need bends and hard pipes etc. and see what else I need to order... Still need inline thermostat as well as a handful of other things, something like $800 worth if I get the fancy coolant - yikes! I haven't tallied up the cost in a while, started to this weekend but got scared and conveniently forgot about it

Anyhow was going to keep rolling on the bottom until I realized I left my new axles at home which really need to go in before the aluminum braces - DOH! I should be able to loosen them and drop them enough to slide the axles by but note to self, axles won't go in or out with aluminum braces in place. Check.

So with that and waiting for a tow truck to arrive I decided to work more on the top side and get the hand controls working. E-brake being the biggest holdup in the interior but all the hard work is done and think I've got it all sorted out now. I wasn't sure exactly how short I needed the cables to be so I wanted something I could reverse if it didn't work out so cutting the cables or trying to re-crimp with something permanent isn't a good option yet. I basically just expanded my original idea of shortening them with the 6mm nuts and made sleeves to pinch around the cable, turns out it was a good idea! After researching a bit online I found the easiest solution to be getting a multi pack of "Cable Stops" from O-Reilly Auto Parts for about $5 which I initially thought were going to be too small but worked out really well and actually used the second largest size in the pack in stead of the largest.

I'll post some pictures later but the cable stops are brass and about 3/4" long and in order to get it around the cable I just put the cable stop in a vice and cut a groove in it length wise. The size was perfect to crimp around the cable for a tight fit, I did leave the 6mm spacer in place as well so overall probably just an inch or total shortening and a bit of adjusting at the rear wheels and we have good lockup at 3-4 clicks with plenty of room to go without hitting anything below. YAY.
I did end up modifying the cable holder slightly by cutting a new groove for the cable so it can come out at a downward angle and more easily go through the tunnel too.

The shifter went in quickly and appears to be working properly, just need to secure the cables in place after I get to cooling system how I want it. I may also try and weld the factory mount back in to hold the cable in place on the firewall, but on the passenger side of the opening to the engine. That may wait until I decide how to make my firewall engine cover.

So pretty much all the interior modification are done with exception of making the firewall cover and connecting some wires up there! I've still got to put the center console and seats back in etc. but otherwise all is done there

So otherwise wanted to ask if anyone has used "Evans Coolant" before??

Renegade is using in their LS7 car they had displayed... after watching the video it definitely seems impressive and I do like the fact that it doesn't use water, to an extent. Just got to keep some with you or prepare to tow the car if you have a major leak.

The other major setback is cost of course, is it worth the $200-300~ for the 4-5+ gallons i'll need? Cheapest I've found it is Summit for $45/gallon but haven't contacted Evans directly yet.

Thanks!
J
BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote