View Single Post
Old 05-01-2006, 06:49 AM   #2
MNBoxster

Hi,

It is strongly recommended that you change the Filter. Even though Porsche says you can change the Filter every other change, that doesn't mean it's advisable. Besides, you're only putting off the inevitable, sooner or later you're going to have to tackle it. It sounds as if this is your first Oil change for this Car, so you really don't know how long the Filter has been in service either.

I don't use the Porsche Wrench, I use a Strap Wrench from Sears. This works great and gives you better leverage than a Socket Handle will. Finally, you can always sacrifice the Cannister if necessary, it's not a really expensive part - $29 here incl. the 'O' Ring and Filter Cartridge: http://www.986online.com/cgi-local/ASI_Store.cgi?Product+skukey_1132165639+Boxster+Oi lSystem-Boxster Possibly cheaper somewhere else.

If the Filter wasn't changed and you added 9 Qts., you may have overfilled your Oil, by ¼ to ½ quart. Never Trust the digital readout as it's known to be highly inaccurate, use the Dipstick, or if your MY doesn't have one, add 8 Qts. and add more over the next couple days as you drive the Car. Unless the Car was absolutely level, you probably didn't drain all the old Oil out, not counting what remains in the Filter Cannister. If you run with your Oil overfilled, it will Foam and not properly flow to the necessary sites in the Engine and it will produce smoke and potentially damage the Cats and O² Sensors. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote