View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 11:00 AM   #1723
curtbradbury

I'm keeping this Boxster

I've done several things recently to my 2005 Boxster S.
1. Removed factory radio/display and installed Kenwood DNX-892 with XM receiver. I bought the entire system from a company in California so I could retain the factory Bose amp. It wasn’t cheap ($2200) but I now have Garmin Nav with voice prompts, XM radio, HD radio, Bluetooth audio, Pandora and other apps, 7” touch screen, hands-free phone, iPhone mirroring, etc. Fantastic! I have had the radio area apart in the past to install a Dension BT unit (it sucked) and to replace the strut in the glove box so the disassembly wasn’t new to me. The system included a NavTV unit to interface with the MOST. Installation was not simple but everything fit behind the new radio and the technical support was excellent.

2. Removed and re-painted my climate control temp and blower buttons. I used the wrong solvent to remove the rubberized paint (what was left after 10 years) and sort of partially melted the grooves in one of the buttons. The repaint looks very good but it bothered me enough that I just bought a used climate control unit on eBay for $90 and I will cannibalize the buttons, repaint them, and it will go better this time. I’ll use paint thinner this time (as recommended) instead of Goof-Off. There is a company that refurbishes the buttons (Sticky No More - Exotic Cars Interior Refinishing Services) and as it turns out, financially, that would have been the way to go but I didn’t know I was going to damage my buttons and I’m stubborn and like to do these things myself.

3. Next project: replace the broken “Oddments” storage cover in my driver’s door. The hinge is broken so I negotiated with an eBay seller into removing the cover and hinge from a Sand Beige door panel they were selling and I paid for just that.

4. I’m currently looking for a used left Alumalook thumb button for my steering wheel. I WILL NOT give $160 to Porsche for a new OEM plastic replacement. If I don’t find a reasonably priced used part, I guess I will re-paint mine in black.
curtbradbury is offline   Reply With Quote