View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 05:51 AM   #11
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
apologize for hijacking this thread but i really need your input!

2000 2.7L manual, 113k miles.

i had the same issue where the temp would go almost over the zero during spirited driving or sometimes just on hot days during slow city driving.

this is as high as it ever got (pushing it through artificial corners in miami):

20150414_225050_zpsp2h8mimj.jpg Photo by tita_cristian | Photobucket

as soon as i drive at highway speeds it cools down right away. even if i stand still and i accelerate a bit in neutral it stars to cool down. i understand thats because the fan is kicking in on second speed and i can see the needle go down.

i just replaced the engine bay sensor but nothing changed. engine bay fan is working i checked. i cleaned the radiators two weeks ago too.

my mechanic is telling me this is not that bad especially in Florida and thats how it works but then there's a lot of people who say the needle should be vertical right between the 8 and the 0. Manual says the same but that it could go higher if the engine is under load.

he suggests that if i want it to run cooler i should upgrade to a 996 (or maybe i got that wrong but anyway a slightly better pump..) water pump and i should get the bigger oil cooler. that should keep it nice and cool.

what do you guys think? should i live with it or go for the upgrade?
theres not a day that i dont do some spirited driving and plan on taking this thing to the mountains soon and putting it through its paces. i dont want to have to worry about overheating..

coolant was serviced a year ago and water pump replaced as well (not thermostat) so its not really time to do that kind of maintenance.
the larger oil cooler is an excellent suggestion, one of the best moves for the money. I would also switch to a 160F stat.