View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 06:56 PM   #35
The Radium King

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
The 996 TB can only move so much air, the 82mm MAF house would do zero good. I told the man I was more then willing to buy the MAF housing and the Maf sensor the 550 Special Edition came out with. He told me it would be a waste of my money, we got into discussing the air velocity and everything, it was quite a long talk. I was really surprised he took that much time with me. The 550 Special Edition only has 6 HP over the standard 2003-2004 Boxster S not 8 HP and that's at WOT. What was Porsche thinking? Save money and make the HP look as good as possible, while the around town drivability is probably not as good as a standard Boxster S. Come on TRK use your head about it.

I called two indy shops and neither could push a 550 Special Edition into my car as they do not have the tune. I asked how much they would charge to push the tune if I got it, $800 to push a tune. At least with Softronic you get the Durametric cable which will work on your car with Durametric software.
i don't think anyone ever recommended using a gt3 tb on a 3.2.

wiki lists the 2003/04 as 258 and the 550 as 266 - that's 8 hp increase.

as i've stated previously (in this thread, for example) the role of the intake mod is to go from a reducing diameter intake designed to accelerate the air and benefit low rpm power (your "around town drivebility") to an intake that works better at high rpm because it flows more air by reducing the amount of restriction (accelerating air takes work). so, either have an oem reducing diameter intake (did you notice that the oem air pipe on your car is a smaller diameter at the tb than at the maf housing? that the tb is 2.7" ID and the maf housing is 3" ID? - that's reducing diameter - as the air gets drawn in it has to either compress or accelerate as the amount of space available decreases - this accelerating air rushes into the cylinder and increases power. works good when the engine needs help breathing, but just gets in the way when the egnine is trying to breath hard) or mod your intake to move as much air as possible. putting on a big tb, big plenum, and big airbox, then leaving a restrictive pipe in the middle, does neither - it slows the air down instead of accelerating it, and it serves as a restriction to airflow. if you already have the big tb, big plenum and big airbox, then you are already expeneincing any loss of low rpm power you are going to experience - not much, is it? changing that one pipe sitting by your airbox is not going to reduce the amount of hp your car makes.

it took me 5 minutes with a pirate porsche pst2 to do my row flash. it is not an $800 job. the mechanics you checked with probably don't have the tool and are quoting you softronic, giac, pedro, or one of the others.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote