View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 06:01 PM   #33
KRAM36
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
umm ... so what was porsche thinking when they put it on the 550 and added 8 hp? the 550 is basically your engine with the 987 airbox / maf housing and a factory tune.

no gain? not likely. most likely no gain for softronic. you've been upsold. instead of 1/2 hour at your indy getting the spyder tune pushed onto your car, now you're out $800 to ... softronic.
The 996 TB can only move so much air, the 82mm MAF house would do zero good. I told the man I was more then willing to buy the MAF housing and the Maf sensor the 550 Special Edition came out with. He told me it would be a waste of my money, we got into discussing the air velocity and everything, it was quite a long talk. I was really surprised he took that much time with me. The 550 Special Edition only has 6 HP over the standard 2003-2004 Boxster S not 8 HP and that's at WOT. What was Porsche thinking? Save money and make the HP look as good as possible, while the around town drivability is probably not as good as a standard Boxster S. Come on TRK use your head about it.

I called two indy shops and neither could push a 550 Special Edition into my car as they do not have the tune. I asked how much they would charge to push the tune if I got it, $800 to push a tune. At least with Softronic you get the Durametric cable which will work on your car with Durametric software.