View Single Post
Old 04-29-2006, 11:33 AM   #9
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Jim
All it takes is for the air fuel ratio to be out slightly (and it alwasy goes rich when it does) and you will lose a lot of power. Normally at WOT the car will run 12.5-13.0:1 (air to fuel) which is great for a normally aspirated engine. When the maf gives wierd readings the ecu will compensate with extra fuel as it's the safe way to keep the motor from blowing up. A lean air fuel ratio is very hot and burns out pistons and valves. A rich condition really robs the engine of HP however the ECU may not consider that a fault as it's not out far enough to trigger a CE light.

Most CE lights are maily for emissions related items, as long as it things emissions are ok the light stays off. HP is not the computer concern, but it is ours and when the car is rich the CAT will take care of the emissions but hp is lost which the ECU doesn't car about. We sure as hell do, so thats a big problem.

Eventually the reading will get so far out that CE light will come on and you have your problem.

Hi,

I agree with you and this is what I meant by a Masked MAF problem. IIRC, the Bosch DME ME 7.2 has something like 27 different A/F Maps. So long as the DME can switch to a different, compensating, Map and the 0² Sensors don't throw an Emissions Fault at it, it's happy and won't trigger a CEL. But I still suspect there's more going on here than just tainted Gas...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote