View Single Post
Old 05-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #24
KRAM36
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
No I don't live in a dream world. If you have some documented data on your HP gain post it so we can see.

Here is what I've done in five years of tracking a my car starting with the original 2.7 motor. I can say for some time I've run almost every configuration of air intake on track and have hours of data recording to back them up.

In the 2.7 with an smooth 3-1/4" inlet pipe upgrade plenum and 74mm throttle body stock MAF stock air box desnorkled. My recorded improvement is 19-20 HP

The next year I ran a Agency power box with a cone filter a SLIGHT improvement.

The next year I had the 987 box stock MAF. The rest was the same as above. I had "NO" improvement in HP or Torque. But I wasted an entire weekend getting it installed IHAVE NO PROBLEM SAYING IT WAS JERRY RIGGED. I could only get 2 bolts in it was cockeyed high in the front low in the back and towards the motor in the rear.

Using your prices the straight pipe throttle body and plenum would have been $170 without 4-6hours removing the intake injectors and all the other crap.

This is a fact I can say the 987 air box never was installed right until I removed the 2.7 motor to install the 3.2/3.6 conversion. It's flush to the cover now the flange had vibrated against the top spot Brad had previously mentioned and made a flat spot that was nearly through. It was bad enough I bought another one.
You do make a good point, in the fact you can get a 20 HP gain with just upgrading the intake from the stock 986 air box.

$170 to get 20 HP increase, hands down the best bang mod for the money. Really makes the UPD for $200 and 5 HP gain look even more silly.

I've always estimated I got a 20 HP increase, but always felt is was more. My brother who has taken many rides and driven my Boxster before the intake and air box upgrade. I took him for a ride after the upgrade and also let him drive it. I then told him about the header, cat delete pipe, Borla muffler, 987 MAF house and larger intake pipping with a tune plans. His exact words were. "Your car is too fast right now, you don't need to do those upgrades". He is 6'-3" at 260lbs, even with the extra weight of him in the car, his impression was the car is too fast already.

Last edited by KRAM36; 05-01-2015 at 07:57 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote