View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 08:33 AM   #13
rah rah 986
1998 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
When you replaced the tensioners did you install the updated IMS tensioner with the large preload spring? It is critical to optimize the issue. If you remove it you can inspect the IMS tensioner paddle wear button for wear. If it is worn down flat, you have excessive clearance requiring removal of the crankshaft housing to replace the paddle.
Actually, when I replaced my tensioners, I wasn't aware of the updated one that you are referring to. Once I realized that my chain rattle didn't improve with the tensioners that I replaced, of course, I then learned of the updated tensioner with the exterior spring for the intermediate to crank chain. I have contemplated going ahead and buying the updated tensioner, because I would really like to eliminate the chain rattle. But, I read somewhere that the new tensioner was designed to be used with later engines where porsche had gone to a tooth style chain rather than the roller style that I believe is in my car, being a 1998. I didn't think the new style would be compatible. Is it?
rah rah 986 is offline   Reply With Quote