View Single Post
Old 04-26-2015, 07:34 AM   #36
Bald Eagle

It depends on your definition of "classic." Are we comparing the 986 /7 to Bugatti, Dusenberg, XK120 Jag? If so, I don't think our cars will ever attain those values or that rarified honor.

Maybe a better term is "collectible." I'm sure that any look at the 2030 Hemmings will find 986's and people will be paying good money for good examples while still enjoying them for their many wonderful attributes.

Another term we need to consider is "valuable." Looking at a current Hemmings I see cars that I love, owned, and drove in my youth - TR3, MG T's, A and B, Austin Healy Sprite and 3000, 356, etc. as both collectible and valuable (at many different levels depending on condition, mileage, originality, etc.

Getting back to the question, my bet is that the 986 and 987 will be about equal in collectability and value, much like the model-progression of MG TC, TD, TF, A, B or TR 2, 3, 4 - affordable collectibles.

As for me, I bought a 2000 986 S last year with just 10,000 miles in pristine condition with all maintenance documented, stored it for the winter, plan on keeping up with all maintenance as needed, and keep it as original and pristine as I can while enjoying the driving experience of using it as a piece of transportation I truly enjoy for about 1000 miles per month. It is a "usable classic" to me and I intend on keeping it for as long as I can get in and out of it without causing my back to go out.

Larry (the Bald Eagle)
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote