View Single Post
Old 04-25-2015, 03:59 PM   #205
BoxsterLS376

E-Brake time!

Greetings all,

E-Brake time!! I've had a few questions about this and since I've got the motor out it is the best time to tackle this... probably should have done it with the coolant pipes out too but hind sight is 20/20 right?

So after getting the carpet and random wires out of the way up top I started by drilling some small pilot holes from the bottom to make sure I was where I needed to be and as you can see by the extra hold there I learned that is most certainly is double walled there and if you stray to far off to the side and drill a hole where you don't really want it

So once I sorted out the alignment of the holes I needed to find a guide tube so that the cables don't get cut by the double wall steel. I didn't have a decent size piece of round steel but found a piece of square bar which is about 1/4" and really turned out to be perfect. I made them about 1" long but could be a bit smaller, I also took a drill and bored out the inside just a bit so that the ends of the e-brake lines would fit through them. That left a bit of a jagged edge on the "guide tubes" even after I filed them and although that part of the cable does have a protective rubber coating I figured it best to have an inner sleeve.

Well I decided that some of that awesome fuel line Porsche uses would do the trick to I snipped the tip off the fuel filter I'm about to throw away and used it to make to little inner sleeves! I snipped them up the sides so I could slip them around the cables then into the square guide tubes. I used some ultra grey silicon to hold things in place as well as patch up the small areas around the tubes on the bottom. I'll squirt a bit of grease in the tubes too to try and protect the cables as much as possible once I'm ready for final assembly~

So once all of that was established I gave it a quick test run to find that changing the mounting position of the e-brake holder definitely means you have to shorten the cables or else you just run out of pull! Even adjusting the e-brake all the way down up down only gives you so much space before you run out of clearance and simply can't pull the handle up anymore before it hits the frame of the e-brake handle holder.

I know I can just adjust the emergency brakes themselves but wanted to try and take some slack out of the cable too. Again not having the proper size steel tubing available at the moment, I improvised and decided to take a couple of 6mm nuts and grind them down until they would fit into the e-brake cable holder thingy. Then I simply got the cutting wheel out and made a slot in the side which I opened up just a bit with a flathead screwdriver and was able to slip it around the cable underneath the cable ends. Crimped is back down and voila, another few millimeters accounted for!

So with all that I was able to get the brake to pull hard enough to lock the drivers side wheel pretty good but no dice on the pass. side yet so I'll pull the wheels off next and see how much adjustment I can get back there. Hopefully enough to give me a bit more clearance between the cable holder and the e-brake handle itself.

Well that about wraps up today - spent about 3-4 hours doing this but will have to wrap it up this week as I'm going to Road Atlanta tomorrow to check out some vintage race cars at The Mitty!

So without further adieu here is todays video~

https://youtu.be/gRCE0dcuOfg

BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote