View Single Post
Old 04-28-2006, 04:30 AM   #6
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne4
Thanks everyone for the response, it appears that it was a tank full of bad/contaminated gas............I added a bottle of "Gumout" injector cleaner and ran the tank down, fill'r up with Sonoco 93 octane (at my normal gas station, the last tank I was on the road and filled up at a 7-11)........runs like new... :dance: I will keep my fingers cross and monitor.........

I do have a follow up question/issue I would like to here comments on; K&N air filter...........I have been using one since the first service, I do clean it and recharge it every 5k miles, never had an issue..............but i've been reading alot of tech articles against using them, specifically K&N don't filter the particles small enough and it damages the MAF......I would almost bet that the people having problems just install them and forget about them.......the box does say 100,000 mile filter...lol

Thought/comments

Thanks Again

John
Hi,

I'm glad you seem to have corrected the issue, but I wonder if the Gumout is just a temporary fix? Gumout can have an octane boosting effect and your DME may just be running a different MAP as a result.

Now that I know you're running the K&N, I suspect a little more strongly that you may have a masked MAF issue. I'm not a Fan of K&N's on any Car, but especially the Boxster. On other Cars, I believe that many of the reported gains are simple Placebo Effect or only show in Dyno results at the Top of the Power Band (often sacrificing some Mid-range performance), but generally, they do no harm. Not so on the Boxster, running one here has shown, somewhat conclusively, that they have a detrimental effect.

My suggestion is to keep an eye on it and ditch the K&N at the 1st sign of the symptoms returning and either clean (not always successful) or replace the MAF. Probably not what you wanted to hear. But, hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote