View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
akwarner

Can replacing a cat make my Boxster sound better?

Ever since I bought my 2003 Boxster last year I've thought it sounded a bit "tinny". I've never owned one before so I accepted it and thought perhaps I might look into a replacement exhaust unit at some time in the future. However last year soon after delivery I popped a check engine light and it was diagnosed as a bad cat. We tried changing the O2 sensor but no joy. It rested over the winter but with the arrival of spring she is back on the road. The light was off for about 17 miles and then it was back on again.

Took it my local indie shop and he was able to get me a cat pulled from someone who did an upgrade. I picked up the car with the new cat installed this afternoon. It could be wishful thinking but I swear that the exhaust note is deeper and throatier now. All I was expecting was for the CE light to be off and to stay off. I've only put about 15 miles on the car so far but it truly seems to sound different, and in a good way.

My question, can replacing a cat change the way the car sounds and if so, how come?

Thanks.

A.
akwarner is offline   Reply With Quote