Thread: mad about tyres
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2006, 04:09 AM   #4
MNBoxster

Hi,

I too am using the P-Zero Rosso and I think it's a very good Tire. The Bridgestone is also a good Tire, but I'm not partial to it because it is much noisier and my experience with them (on another car I own, not the Boxster) was that they tended to harden both to a greater extent, and sooner, than has been my experience with Dunlops, Michelins or Pirellis.

At this level, ALL the Tires are good and offer excellent performance, One's preference often comes down to little things such as Manufacturers' Spec, available Sizing, Noise, Tread Design, or what their friends are using (which Tire is Popular right now) and certain of these things are totally subjective. People tend to stand behind the choices they make and don't readily admit to error until they've replaced the Tire with something else, so most people will swear by the Tire they're currently running (unless they've inherited them, in which case they tend toward the last Tire they bought for a previous Car, or had experience with), again Human Nature at play.

Also, all these Tires exhibit different qualities on different Cars. What may be the Best Tire on a Corvette or an M3, may not be the Best Tire when mounted on a Boxster and Vice-Versa. The problem lies with the fact that you cannot Try Out several Brands to see which one works best for you before buying them. At $700-$1,000 per set (here in the US), including Mounting and Balancing, one can't afford to make too big a mistake, because you'll have to live with it for a few years. This is why it's usually Best to go with one of the Tires recommended by Porsche and in this case, any of the Tires you mention will do a fine job. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99 (with Pirelli P-Zero Rossos, which I'm likely to replace with the same when the Time comes)

Last edited by MNBoxster; 04-28-2006 at 04:18 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote