Thread: Torque Wrench
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2006, 04:58 PM   #19
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
I purchased a Sears Craftman's Microtork Torque Wrench today on sale at 50% off. It cost me about $54. I hope this works just fine for the Racing Dynamics Front Strut Tower Brace I purchased yesterday for the new car!!
Hi,

Although most Torque Wrenches are least accurate at the extremes of their scales, I'm sure it will be fine. Just remember to torque the nut in stages until the final torque of 26 ft. lbs. is reached.

These Strut Studs are, given their importance, are pretty fragile and easily snapped off if overtorqued - 26ft. lbs. OK, 30-35ft. lbs. may be a problem. This is REALLY BAD because if snapped, you have to buy a new supporting mount and remove the Strut to change it out. 26 ft. lbs. is not very much torque at all, especially if you have the leverage of a long-handled wrench working for you.

I would suggest practicing first by putting a Wheel Lug Nut sized socket on the wrench, set it to 26 ft. lbs. and torque the Wheel Nut. This will give you a feel for how little torque 26 ft. lbs. actually is so you have some idea once you're doing it for real how much torque you s/b applying.

Not to alarm you, as I'm sure all will be OK, but it'll scare you a bit until the wrench clicks, at least it did me...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 04-30-2006 at 06:41 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote