Thread: Oil Light
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 03:41 AM   #16
Timco
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
When I posted that in your other thread is was for fun and meant as a joke.
Lets go over what James posted in the thread where you said it couldn't happen.

I was laughing as I typed that. Of course it was a joke.

As I am sure I mentioned, that can only happen with severely worn pads and a very worn rotor. Only one scenario, and there it is. What do you suppose the measured depth of that notch is? If the rotor was not way past spec, or if the pad was any reasonable thickness, that could not happen. And, if the rotors wear into a lip edge by design, physics would dictate that to be the very first part of the rotor to touch the wire (only if the pad was allowed to wear down that far) every time, so the statement that ECM made was pretty meaningless. Like they were trying to express some superior knowledge on the subject when in reality, THE PAD WEARS AGAINST THE ROTOR UNTIL THE SENSOR WIRE IN THE PAD GROUNDS TO THE ROTOR.

I will also add, you worded your (or their) statement misleadingly. A sensor wire CANNOT be cut by a rotor getting worn by itself (detecting a worn rotor vs worn pads) if pads are decent. IT REQUIRES PADS TO BE WELL BELOW ACCEPTABLE THICKNESS FOR A SENSOR TO TOUCH A ROTOR.

If you don't put gas in your car, it won't start. Now, what's actually happening is the fuel pump has no pressure, and that means........

Now, for that oil light, have you dropped the pan? Sure your pick-up screen is clean?

Last edited by Timco; 04-22-2015 at 03:50 AM.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote