View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 05:38 PM   #18
RedTele58

Interesting to read opinions on the cars when they were still new.

I was especially interested in their comments on the 5-speed vs 6-speed transmission and the S engine vs the base engine.

Several weeks ago here we had a discussion on S vs base and I said I prefer my base cars over my S cars as daily drivers. I didn't really think much why I prefer the 5-speeds and less horsepower over the S cars, it was just my initial gut reaction, but the comments above got me to thinking.

I took my '01S out of hibernation Saturday and had a very enjoyable afternoon driving it in the hills about 20 miles from here. It is a beautiful car, and at 36k miles is the cleanest in my fleet of six Boxsters. I drove it for the afternoon, then put it away and got one of my '99s out yesterday and drove it for the afternoon on the same roads.

Comparing the two cars, I think the 5-speed really was the more enjoyable to drive as I would find the 6-speed often a half gear high or low from where I wanted to be. The 5-speed allowed me easier access to that sweet spot between 3,500 rpm and 5,000 rpm where both engines seem to come alive. While the S car had the added 50 horses over the base car, I wasn't able to use it to my advantage on the roads I was on.

Sitting here thinking while typing, I realize similar thoughts about driving the S vs the base cars in DE events. Last year I drove the '02S car, this year I'm driving the '99's. The added 50 horses is fun on the straights, but again, I like the feel of the 5-speed over the 6-speed when I have to really start driving the car in the corners and the added horses are not that much of an advantage. (It's been kinda fun to have the 996/997 cars pull away from me on the straights only to be able to catch them and hang on their bumpers in the corners. It only sucks when coming out of the corners they wave you past them only to have them blow back by as soon as they get their extra horses spun up! )