View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 03:30 PM   #20
paulofto
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Hate to burst your bubble, but the information you were given is somewhat correct, and somewhat incorrect.

The original Porsche gear oil for the five speeds was developed for Porsche by an obscure Royal Dutch Shell division known Burmah, and was designated TAF21. This full synthetic product was developed specifically for Porsche for the Boxster five speeds only, and should not be use in the six speed boxes due to incompatibility with certain alloy components, which would result in premature wear. Porsche actually published a technical bulleting to that effect. Burmah TAF21 never had any type of GL rating as it simply did not fall into any of the GL categories as defined by the API, which is also why other major oil companies never made an equivalent product. The TAF21 product is made exclusively for Porsche in 20 liter drums. The Quaker State GL-5 product is not an equivalent lubricant, which is also why you are experiencing cold shifting issues, a condition where the TAF21 excels over other lubricants in the Boxster.
I Guess there is a little confusion. My car is a 2003 S , 6 speed. The dealer service manager did mention the 5 speed fluid is different and that they only have it in drums and don't sell it in Quart containers. The stuff they do sell for 6 speeds is the 75w-90 GL-5 made by, he says, Shell in Europe. He said the Shell, Quaker State, Pennzoil or Mobil 1 GL-5 are all fine in the 6 speed. The stuff currently in my car is Porsche OEM that is the original oil I believe and it is a little notchy in 2 gear when cold. Fine when warm

Anyway thanks for the input. I haven't yet done the change but hopefully I get to it next weekend. The IMS Guardian install took longer than I thought. And I really need to drive on such a gorgeous day so MT fluid change took a back seat.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote