View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #13
911monty

Garage
I Guess I'm Really not understanding.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
I guess you're not understanding. Pierburg is a supplier of Porsche's water pumps. Just because it says genuine Porsche does not mean it's made by Porsche. Jake Raby stated that he only buys water pumps directly from Porsche and that he has seen them use 3 different suppliers.

Who makes the original Porsche water pumps?

The pump is made by Pierburg, not FCP lol.

and that kit uses a Pierburg water pump.
Kram
I appreciate the reply. I am confused by the referenced Jake quote which as I read it says he buys factory because, there are 3 different suppliers but the pumps are different. What I believe he is saying that OEM suppliers are typically prevented by their contract from using identical components as the "factory" piece and are usually inferior in quality. My concern on this particular component, which from reading this forum, is "critical" in that if it fails it can lose impeller fragments in cooling passages causing the heads/engine to fail. This is not where I choose to save money. In fact much the same as the infamous IMS bearing, (and this is only imaginary and not a real part..) if a manufacturer said " we have eliminated impeller failure by using ceramic bearing in a delrin race " I would probably pay twice as much for the part. Saving a few dollars while gambling a $10k failure is not in my opinion a good bet. Happy Bolstering!!
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote