View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 02:09 PM   #10
Jamesp
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
1.If the rear seal is intact, how would any oil get into the IMS tube? Suggest that seal should never be removed.A vent at the high point may be the best idea?
2.How often do you think the unsealed front of the bearing would get splashed?
The question on lube is:
which of the 3 below do you want ?
1.Intermittent lubrication with engine oil(front seal removed)
2.Continuous engine oil lube of the bearing (DOF)rear seal in place/front removed.
3. OEM Sealed+high temp grease+ diy high-point vent
4. A proven LN product.
Most of us seem to fit LN but enjoy contemplating alternatives.
More info here:
I'm Going in ALONE....LNE Retrofit bearing - Page 5 - Rennlist Discussion Forums
and just google ; IMS SKF 6204-2rsltn9/hc5c3wt
Please be sure you need a single row. The part number you gave is single row. And be sure to confirm Viton seals, not Buna.
Good Luck.
Wow, how to reply? Have you been drinking Gelbster? Well, if not, don't worry about it, I drink enough for both of us. I guess the best approach is to answer numerically, (sort of) starting with the text included with my reply.

1) Never saw it. Please post a link, I'm intrigued.

2) it gets splashed continuously when the engine is running. It's between 1/3 to 1/2 submerged when the engine is level and not running. You do realize the seal on the bearing is spinning right? there is no "high point" to put a hole in.

As for the next 3 (well, 4 actually) let's take those numerically as well:

1) The seal being "intact" does not mean it is a pressure seal, it isn't. It is a sliding seal between the inner bearing race and the bearing cover. Changes in pressure between the inside of the IMS tube and the inside of the engine due to temperature changes easily pushes oil past this "seal". Both in and out of the IMS tube. In some bearings rated for higher speed, the seal is only close to the inner race without actually sealing it.

2) I like DOF if the oil is not stolen from the right hand cams, the oil is filtered, preferably cooled and supplied as a light mist, and not randomly squirted at the bearing. If I can't have that (and I can't) then I'd go with splash.

3) There's no such thing as a high point vent, and if there were I'd not put a hole in the bearing shield that would allow communication between the bearing grease and the oil. That would defeat the purpose of the seal.

4 (or 3 prime if you prefer)) LN does make good products from everything I've seen. If I weren't such a cheap..., well you know the rest...

The "I'm going it alone" post reminds me of me. My car is still running great too.

I'd be careful of the bearing being discussed here. Everything I've seen has been steel race and silicon carbide composite. This has "ceramic" races and balls. What kind of ceramic? Needs to be silicon carbide, and the fact it's full ceramic would run me off.

Last edited by Jamesp; 04-15-2015 at 02:12 PM.
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote