View Single Post
Old 04-13-2015, 07:16 AM   #1
jml911

Engine cut out / ECU torque limit ?

Hi chaps

We have an ongoing issue with our Boxster race car.

We've done a lot of mods and it's significantly more powerful (I'll go into the modifications at some point when we've ironed out all the issues).
But for now the ECU has been remapped

Basically the engine cuts out when you come out of a corner and out of pitlane if pushing hard.

I'll try to explain how this happens.

You'll go into a corner as normal. Hit the apex and as soon as you're heading to the exit point and getting on the gas (not even flat) RPM is probably 3500- 4000 + the engine suddenly will go into limp mode (effectively it cuts out. 1000rpm and it won't actually move and will stall). Switch off the ignition and re start it and it will reset. Once over 4500-5000 rpm there's no issue. You can head off the straight at
full revs, foot flat to 7000rpm no problem

It's very much like driving a turbo and blowing off a pipe. You have power and then there's nothing as you come on boost.

Basically accelerate hard from low revs in 3rd gear (it doesn't happen in first or second as far as I can remember nor 4th)

If I ride the clutch a little coming out of the corner then there's no cut out but I'm also not going flat out. I don't think I'm even really engaging the clutch - ie it's not slipping.

To me this seems like I'm hitting an electronic torque limit.
Has anyone heard of something like this before ?
jml911 is offline   Reply With Quote