View Single Post
Old 04-11-2015, 09:14 AM   #1
Swreck

Unhappy Good looking dashboard cover: impossible request?

Hi all.
I have a '99 Boxster with a black leather dashboard. It has mostly been garaged, but saw its fair share of sun.

The front edge of the top of the dashboard is starting to peel back. So you see a bit of a bubble and a half-inch strip of grey foam padding when you look in from the windshield. I hope you can help me with options.

The quotes I've gotten on replacing the leather dashboard top surface are $5000. The upholstery folks who put on the new top said shipping the new part from Germany was so expensive, so they recommend covering with a new piece of leather. But it ends up being about the same cost. A place I trust set simply the labor of removing and replacing the part at $1800.

I love the car, but that seems like a big investment for a '99.

As you know, lots of companies sell dashboard covers for Boxster's, tailored by specific year. I've seen carpet and suede covers for sale online ranging from $50-$300.

My question is: Do any of you know of any dashboard top cover for a black leather interior that would actually look good?

Please let me know. I just put a new top on the car (glass window!) and otherwise it looks great. With the new top, I figured I had a good 10 more years with my favorite car... and now this. Help please!
Swreck is offline   Reply With Quote