View Single Post
Old 04-08-2015, 04:38 AM   #1
rah rah 986
1998 Boxster

Chain ramp replacement...gaining access?

Greetings all, 3 years ago I bought my '98 boxster with 56000 miles. At that time, I discovered that I had the notorious chain rattle at start up which is often diagnosed as faulty external tensioners. I replaced the tensioners, but, it did not correct or improve the problem.
I have lived with the rattle and have since put 30,000 miles on the car. this year I have decided to pull the engine and address a few maintananaince issues of which includes replacing the chain ramps.
While not a mechanic, I do have mechanical abilities, and thanks to the wealth of information provided through this forum and others, I am ready to tackle this project....hopefully with your help.

My search for information regarding chain ramps has proven to provide an abundance of information concerning the ramps for the cam to cam chains. The process is well documented and appears to be very straight forward. What I am really hoping for is some guidance in what is involved in replace the remaining chain ramps. The only information that I have found is that it does not require splitting the case. Any help in how to approach gaining access to these ramps would sure be helpful.
rah rah 986 is offline   Reply With Quote