View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 11:48 PM   #13
newBgeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby View Post
The IMSR was developed around a 5K mile, 6 month oil service. I know, I did it.

The main key is to keep an oil feeding the unit thats got a healthy anti- wear package, and after 6 months in service, any oil will begin to see this diminish.
I assume that you mean the additives which neutralize acidity in the oil. As I understand it, oil acidity can turn seals hard and brittle and ultimately cause them to fail. My understanding of IMS failures is that the seal fails allowing engine oil into the bearing. Then centrifugal force does its magic (like the spin cycle of your washing machine) and ejects all the lubrication. Without proper lubrication, bearing failure is imminent.

Jake, my question to you is how is the seal in the LN bearing different than that of the upgraded Porsche IMS bearing? Has the seal design or material changed in different revisions of the LN bearing? Mine is from early last year and I'm wondering which revision I have?

Also, why would you change oil that has only been sitting for 5 or 6 months? Oil is not hygroscopic like brake fluid. Just wondering if you feel that the additives are evaporating or whether it's just to eject the cob webs? I would be very hesitant to dump clean, acid free oil, though I do change oil in all my cars every 5000km (about 3,000 miles). If vegetable oil can sit in your pantry for a year, surely engine oil can do the same in your engine. No?
newBgeek is offline   Reply With Quote