View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
I've done my first attempt at a leak down test with my new tester. It is a model that has two pressure gauges (0-100). It was not an easy job to do by myself with the car on jackstands.Much easier on a lift. I want to redo the test (glutton for punishment) but I want to clarify a few things.
1. Engine warm, right? I've heard warm and cold.
2. I have used a balloon on the adapter hose to discern the compression stroke of #1 cylinder, as well as the others. Is there an easier way? I figured that if I followed the firing order that might be an indicator.
3. TDC is difficult to ascertain in the boxster with the chopstick method because you need to crank from the inside then check the stick, and repeat and repeat for each cylinder! Am I missing something?
4. I pressure up the tester using the adjustment knob once the connections have been completed (compressor-tester-cylinder). This is the right procedure?
Any enlightenment here would be greatly appreciated!
For the most accurate results, the engine should be warm.

The easiest way to find TDC on each cylinder is by pulling the plugs and rotating the engine by hand while someone checks the piston position.

Once at TDC, pressurize the cylinder and measure the indicated % leakage, them move on to the next cylinder and repeat.