View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 12:02 PM   #12
Smallblock454

Quote:
Originally Posted by spendy View Post
While the purists won't like this, a reasonably accurate way to torque the axle nuts is to use your body weight and a breaker bar. For example, if you weigh 200 lbs and step on a breaker bar 18" from the bolt you are applying approximately 300 lb-ft to the nut.
Will work - at a truck for example. And i have to admit, that i'm also a fan of tricks like that. Also a fan of easy maths and physics.

But never do such things if the axle is not fixed. For example if you have on a lift this isn't a recommended way. Also if you under- or overtorque you'll have a problem soon. Also if you slip off.

So my recommendation is always a torque wrench. Especially for hobby car workers.

I went to a DIY workshop where i was able to lend all special tools for a very moderate price.

@ Gelbster / Steve Tinker:
LÖBRO is a sub brand of GKN. So they will be OK. If you'll buy on ebay i would ask the seller first if the product is an original LÖBRO/GKN part. On ebay you'll sometimes get fake parts. That's why i prefer to buy from automotive parts dealers. Also make shure that the shown part number is on the part. GKN does also universal parts that are a lot cheaper.

Infos on LÖBRO/GKN/Spidan:
Achsmanschetten - PKW - GKN Aftermarkets & Services

Regards
Markus

PS: The AT has different inner CV boots. The outer boots (wheel side) are the same.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote